I declare 2007 the year of the breakthrough!
Breakthroughs for you, breakthroughs for me, and breakthroughs for those who we touch. Breakthroughs for the world.
While in New Zealand, I came in contact with one of nature's most beautiful fractals - the fiddle-head. In overly simple terms, a fractal is a shape that continues itself whether you zoom in or zoom out. I love fractals.
The fiddle-head is the sprout of a fern leaf.
This curly wonder is the inspiration behind the Maori (New Zealand indigineous people) symbol called the Koru. The Koru symbolizes new growth, beginnings, harmony, and peace.
It's the symbol that makes up my website logo, too. And this is somewhat by serendipity. I have always loved spirals and their fractal nature, so I asked my graphic artist to work up logos using a spiral. I never consciously thought of the fiddle-head or meaning of the koru, though - until my trip to New Zealand. My logo was everywhere (and in basically the same color)!
So it is with this symbol of new beginnings that I declare 2007 the year of the breakthrough. This ties into my personal genius, which is catalyzing breakthroughs (Dick, I know you don't think this is my fully baked genius, but I am still here at the moment). This focus also ties into my mission to help managers and leaders produce amazing results and build great companies. How I will punctuate the year of breakthroughs:
- I have reopened the Two Weeks to a Breakthrough blog (this post is being posted both places). Several of you were disappointed when I put it on the shelf (thanks for that). Also, after what seems like an eternity, the book is finally coming out at the end of February. Looking back at why I shut down the blog, I think I needed a break from that and now I am ready to play full out again. Promise: I am going to go deep on this blog. Request: Put the Two Weeks blog in your aggregator or subscribe to it's feed. Thanks!
- I will be asking all my podcast guests about the breakthroughs they wish to generate and how they will do that (I don't really intend to prep them about this, I will just launch into a mini coaching conversation after the main topic is discussed).
- I will be focusing on writing more provocative posts that have the potential to catalyze breakthroughs.
- I will challenge myself to think bigger and bolder - my thoughts have been a bit small recently.
- And many other projects that I have not yet conceived. Feel free to share your ideas!
Join me in embracing breakthrough generation in 2007 (or what's left of 2006 - no time like the present!). Define a breakthrough goal for January. What could happen in January that would make a big positive difference to your life and to others with whom you interact?
One personal breakthrough I hope to acheive aside from my work in business arena is to develop a more successful (emphasis on quality) creative writing practice. To that end, I started a new blog called Essay a Smile. If you enjoy essays or poems or posts about writing, check it out.