I love thinking about breakthrough generation. Sometimes I need to remind myself that a breakthrough is something amazing - it's like stepping on the turbo engine of an older (Swedish) Saab. Vroom.
A to D
A to G
A to R
Not A to B. Breakthroughs can be wee surges forward, but they are surges. Here are 10 things you can do today to facilitate a breakthrough:
1. Make a big request (you knew that would top the list, right?). Make more than one.
2. Take the opposite approach.
3. Ask for crazy ideas that just might work.
4. Tell everyone you come in contact with about your goal - everyone!
5. Volunteer for a new organization or otherwise help someone new.
6. Take the plunge - commit in a new way.
7. Team up with someone or a small group.
8. Make a list of 10 actions and do them all without interruption.
9. Air conduct to your favorite music, then brainstorm new ideas for 15 minutes without stopping or second guessing yourself.
10. Take on the persona of your goal state - be your end goal today.
I like this post from Decker Marketing called Career Tip #13 - Take Bigger Risks. Here's a snippet:
Whether you’re an executive or not, I suggest you take bigger risks to move your career forward (and for fun). Make big plays. Take initiative for change at a strategic level. Bigger risks help your career because you stand out, differentiate, and accomplish great things. Whether you’re an individual contributor or manager, anyone who takes initiatives and risks can become a leader. They are the ones who are break through the next level. Their reputation is lasting and their contributions are recognized and rewarded over the long haul. Plus, the accomplishments create great soundbytes.