You are amazing. I know this! If you and I enjoyed a chat over foaming lattes, I am sure that your greatness would shine bright and I would find your hopes and dreams inspiring. Everyone I meet possesses clear and special talents. I love to discover the source of people’s passions and am fascinated by our diverse natures.
Every night on the TV we see people. Some are at their best, but more often they are at their worst (crime shows, reality TV, Jerry Springer). If everyone is amazing, what’s going on? I think that stress and the dizzying circumstances of our lives can push us off course. We know this is not how things ought to be. We know that we have something greater and more compelling to offer the world. Even so, we get farther off course with each mismatched turn. The butterfly effect goes negative when we take many small steps off the path. They add up, add up, and soon we are miles away from where we intended.
You are amazing even if today you are off course.
You have the potential to contribute to society and live a wonderful and fulfilling life. You can get back on track. I work with many people who choose to stop moving in the wrong direction and see a new set of possibilities. They flap their butterfly wings fast and furious, manifesting joy and wonder along the way. They ooze exuberance and become flexibly strong, like a tall Sequoia tree swaying in the wind. An awesome force of nature. What’s your goal? Do you need an adjustment?
You can start right now. Define - Answer - Act - Use that energy to repeat
- What do I want? (Tell two people)
- What can I do in the next 12 hours to get unstuck? (Do one big or five tiny things then rejoice)
- Which is more powerful - physical or mental barriers? (Hint: it's likely mental - obliterate the barriers by rejecting them and taking on a new perspective)
- What two things can I do for the next five days that would get be back on track.
For those of you who regularly read this blog, you might be asking/wondering:
This all sounds familiar, isn't it more complex than this?
Yes, of course it is, but if you act like it isn't - guess what? It will become simpler. And yes, this is familiar. To generate breakthroughs:
- Define goals that inspire you
- Share them broadly
- Take forward action in support of goals
- Make requests that move things forward
- Do all these things and you will create velocity
It's that simple - elegant and simple - powerful and simple.
But we all get off course sometimes and that does not make us any less amazing - we're like Ferrari sport cars parked in our garages. Not performing because the engine is off. Turn the key and go for a ride.