Can you imagine generating a breakthrough toward the goal to floss more? No, me neither.
I think our goals ought to rock our worlds! If we are going to spend the time and effort to make something happen, let's MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN!
Here's a series of questions aimed at helping you articulate your goal in a compelling way and such that it is worthy of the attention of your heart and mind.
- What do you what to have happen - what's the desired outcome?
- Why do you want this to happen? This is important to me because _____________
- How does this goal tap into or utilize your strengths? I love and have a strength for _______
- In a perfect world, who would you like to have partner with you in making this goal a reality?
- Over the next week or month, what would a grand slam home run look like relative to this goal? Over the next week/month, I would like to ______________
- How will life look and feel once you have achieved your goal? How will success benefit others?
OK, now make a paragraph out of your responses. This is your spine tingling elevator speech! How do I know this? If you have answered the questions fully, your goal will be inspiring because it will bring out the best of you and enable you to more fully contribute. If your answers don't accomplish this, check to make sure you have a great goal.
Here is an example:
I find online marketing technologies fascinating and I have a knack for developing creative solutions that help connect customers with suppliers. It's a whole new world online and my mind spins with joy thinking about the possibilities! I want to create a business that allows me to use my ever-growing knowledge and passion for online marketing to help small business owners grow the businesses they love. Over the next month, I will be looking for two special beta clients to test and measure some of my ideas. This will be a win-win for all involved because I get to develop my portfolio and these clients will receive lots of attention at a discount.