Delight: to please greatly, charm, enchant, captivate, entrance, thrill; gladden, gratify, appeal to; entertain, amuse, divert; informal send, tickle pink, bowl over. (From the Apple dictionary)
This world is made up of one energy field - you are in it, I am in it and how we each feel affects the other. Even more so when the proximity is close.
Have you noticed that children light up when they are around others who are entranced with play? As adults we learn to contain ourselves, but the feelings still occur.
People delight in our delight! And when we are curmudgeons, that rubs off and permeates the air too.
Delight - it's voluntary and free. Available to everyone - right now. We can solve problems and express delight. We can deal with serious matters and feel delight. We can parent, coach, mentor, teach, and even manage and feel delight.
The energy you share and evoke is powerful.
Delight is gratitude with a light heart.
Delight is the joy of contribution.
Delight is humble pride.
Delight is accomplishment.
Delight is not being afraid to show your glee.
There's a TV commercial for a major cruise line, I don't remember which one. The story in the commercial is a mother talking about how her kids never smile, but then as the cruise unfolds, they start to smile.
We do this all the time, don't we? We stop ourselves from smiling - from being grateful, thankful, happy, and content. Why do we do this? Have we defined positive energy - optimism in action - into a sign of weakness?
I think it's a sign of strength - that we care enough and are strong enough to be delightful. Do you endeavor to be delightful? What if you said, for the next week, that you want to be perceived as delightful.
Oh, it won't hurt. I will try it if you do. I will admit that I have a brooding artist inside me and that I have been known - on occasion - to feed off dark energies. Here's the thing - life it too short to brood and most of us are way too fortunate to deserve to brood. It is rude and disrespectful to be dissatisfied and at the same time prosperous.
Five ways to be delightful today:
1. Smile. Don't worry about getting wrinkles or that your teeth are yellow. Your smile is beautiful because it expresses your best side.
2. Play. Show your kids - your significant others - your friends - your most playful side. They will delight in your delight.
3. Show appreciation every day.
4. Don't sweat the small stuff - and as the book says, it's all small stuff.
5. Become a delight catalyst. Brighten up your office and home. Be the one to take the initiative to enjoy and spread joy. Demonstrate partnership, forgiveness, tolerance and curiosity. refuse to let the report eating copier or the overly-talkative coworker get you down. These things are small potatoes and one reason why life is such an adventure.
Don't wait - start right now. Be happy.
Delight provides fertile ground for breakthroughs.