OK, no jokes about the pool gag where you throw a candy bar in the water and then yell, "turd!" What I'm suggesting goes the other way.
I am a big fan of redefinition - I don't mean in a slimy "being sold something I don't need" kind of way. I mean redefinition that makes your life work better.
Reality is socially constructed. Change your definition - change reality.
Here's a small tangible example.
I struggle with reading. I have had adult ADD and find it hard to sit and read for more than 15 minutes and I find most books boring. I know, a book writer ought not say these things.....
I have struggled with this for years, but I need to lick this problem for two reasons:
1. There is a strong correlation between writing skill and reading. Writers need to be readers.
2. I am enrolled in an MFA program that requires me to read and annotate (report on) one book per week minimum. Yikes - that's about 1000% more than my normal reading pace.
I did a few practical things:
1. I got my eyes checked and got new glasses.
2. I got a good reading lamp and chair.
But I still struggled, why? Because reading for me has always been a turd. As long as it remains a turd, there will be no breakthroughs forthcoming. I need to turn reading into a Candy Bar. How do I do this?
1. Change my view of what reading means. This is important. Reading for 15 minutes is reading. It's like a wee spa treatment for my brain. It's like a 3pm soy latte. It's like a quick walk around the block. Reading in bits and bites is my success formula (not how I fail) and if I do this 3-4 times a day, my life will be blessed and transformed. Candy Bar.
2. Create anticipation and excitement by planning for my reading spa Candy Bar sessions. Today, for example, I got all the little things in order - made tea, selected the book, collected my highlighter, went to the little girl's room (TMI?), put on my office space heater (yes, already, Fall has arrived in Seattle), and cleaned my glasses, face, and pulled my hair back. Like a lover might prepare for a hot rendezvous, I prepped for my reading. Candy Bar.
3. Increase opportunity. I have put books everywhere (I have many to read), so it is very easy to do a bit a spontaneous reading. Candy Bar.
4. Pair reading with other pleasurable events. In my case, my cat loves it when I read because I recline just enough to make my lap a cozy place for her to lie. Having a reading lap cat makes the experience more enjoyable and I read longer because I don't want to disturb her. Candy Bar.
You might be asking, What if a turd is just a turd? That's a great question. If a turd is just a turd, then flush it, for heaven's sake. Get rid of it. But if you want to reinvent your love for some ritual or habit (exercise anyone?), then you can turn that turd into a low calorie high taste Candy Bar.
What will you transform this week?